[Bf-funboard] Modes & modes

Thorsten Wilms bf-funboard@blender.org
Thu, 11 Sep 2003 19:51:50 +0200

Ton Roosendaal wrote:

>   - ??: face select
> - it is unclear yet if 'loop selection' will be a mode, or a tool
> (invoked once by hotkey or menu). To be researched

Hello!

Do you mean:

tool -> hotkey
mode -> menu

?

(It should be clear, that tool or mode is a question of feel. Because a
Tool (like rectangular selection) establishes a mode.)

I think loop-selection should have a hotkey and maybe an icon near the
one for proportional-vertex-editing (same for rectangular / circular
selection). In a program like Photoshop, it would have it's place in the
toolbox, it's not a prime candidate for a menu(-bar)-entry, because it's
not a single command or needs a dialog. But it would fit in a context-menu.

> - we can draw in the upper-right corner small blended icons to give
> extra attention to these modes; like this mockup:
> http://www.blender.org/bf/rt.jpg
> Here a bit shading in the corner gives extra attention. Different
> greyscales can be used to visualize different modes (color would
> distract too much). When no selection mode is possible, the 'divider'
> won't be drawn, otherwise it splits in 2 parts. We can even code that
> clicking here will switch modes.
> Of course I'd welcome other proposals. :)
>
> Thanks for reading,
>
> -Ton-

The problem with icons in corners is, that they're far away from the
focus (or locus for those who know Raskin) of attention. You already
give a hint to this by writing color would distract too much. It would
look very cool and elegant, but would'nt help in real life, because you
just don't look there while working.

Those modes should be indicated by what the user is actualy working
with. You recognize edit-mode by visible vertices ...
Besides that the cursor or maybe next to the cursor overlays should do
the job.

If all selection and editing tools have a place as icon on some bar or
something like a toolbox, than we can use pressed-button look for
indication of active mode(s).

Thanks for writing!

---
Thorsten