[Bf-funboard] constraint problem

Gwyn Perry bf-funboard@blender.org
Wed, 9 Jul 2003 15:42:01 +0100 (BST)

########################
Jonathan Bartlett wrote:

I don't think this is actually an issue.  What you
have, instead of inheriting Loc/Rot/Size, you have
"constrain to coordinate system", which would have the
effect of any movements of OBJ_B be within the
cordinate system defined as the location/rotation of
OBJ_A.  So, it's not inheriting OBJ_A's properties,
it's inheriting the coordinate system defined by
OBJ_A.

There may be small gotchas in relation to this, such
as what happens when the centerpoint of OBJ_A changes.

Jon
############################

But that is exactly what I mean.
If parenting was replaced with a function to create
three "ADD" constraints, as was proposed, then the
relationship between the objects would not be the same
as the current parenting system.

what would be needed would be a "constrain to
coordinate system" constraint, as you mentioned.

I just looked in the dna file and there is a #define
for a "CHILDOF" constraint. I think this should be
implemented as the CTRL+P option, rather than the set
of ADD constraints, which would serve an entirely
diferent purpose (and should still be implemented,
because they'd rock)

Also, has anyone thought of adding lag or inertia to
constraints? This could open up some seriously nifty
options for animators.

later
BEAT