[Bf-funboard] ] constraints

Jean Montambeault bf-funboard@blender.org
Tue, 08 Jul 2003 11:07:28 -0400

Ton Roosendaal wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Hrms, then the confusement is in literally translating Constraints,
> as  something that is 'limiting' or so...

The confusion is to name things that are absolutely different from the
user's point of vue with the same name. Although it is right in the
program, it is wrong from an interface desing standpoint. I understand
what constraint means for you but I think that it will be confusing for
the users (I gave as an example, in my answer to Matt, of the problem
caused by the use made of the word 'size' in Blender and the flow of Q&A
it arises) : why not take care of that problem from the get go and name
things like the user expect them, to the best of our capacity ?

> We can also rename "Constraint" to "Relationship" or so... I think
> the  first name is just more common used in other 3d programs.

You'll find in my answer to Matt that I have a hope for keeping the word
constraint if we qualify it wisely so the very different effects and
uses of each type appear as clear as can be.
Maybe I'm thinking a bit like a marketer ; maybe it wouldn't hurt to use
some of it.

Jean