[Bf-education] Blender Certification

Jason van Gumster jason at handturkeystudios.com
Mon Mar 21 23:59:08 CET 2011

Laurent David <laurent at tdm.info> wrote:

> Hi,
> Thanks for your reply.
> I am not personally a "super-pro", even if I would dream to be :)
> I am more interested in the possibility of delivering a Blender
> Certification that would be officially recognised. Other Open Source
> software projects do that (Mahara has got a certification, Linux has
> LPIC and more...) and it is something that may be missing to Blender.
> A certification programme has got a lot of advantages compared to ad-hoc
> courses because it is standardised and create a baseline of reference
> for the learner/teacher/future employer.
>
> Anyone interested in building a Framework of a certification that the
> Blender foundation could endorse so it is world-wide recognised ? It
> would maybe help training institutions to officially adopt Blender and
> develop the community further.

The Blender Foundation has historically refrained from user certifications.
User certification is a huge task and there simply hasn't been (and, in my
opinion, still isn't) the manpower to develop and maintain such a
certification. Instead, the Blender Foundation offers certifications for
trainers. The trainers, in turn, can offer their own personal certifications to
the people that they train. The trainer certification program itself could
probably stand to be revised a bit, but it's still probably the more effective
and manageable solution.

  -Jason