[Bf-education] Intro to Blender 3D class for teens

Doug Ollivier doug at flipdesign.co.nz
Sun Apr 10 23:25:55 CEST 2011

I was regularly doing a 4 day course of about 5 hours a day. I've
chucked some of it up here:  http://doug.flipdesign.co.nz/blender-course/
It's branded with Natcoll but i've doen the course setup in my own time
so I don't see the issue.

1) The first thing i do is introduce the settings.  At the end I asked
each class to give feedback about their experience, they all
disliked/struggled with the RMB to select, so i tried 1 class from day
one changing the Left mouse button to select. I will never go back to
RMB when teaching!  I also tried it with a class that was half way
through, again they had no issues switching half way through the course
to LMB since it is so intuitive. So the first thing i do now is change
how Blender selects an object, it increased the quality of work from
students dramatically and reduced the frustration.

2) Secondly i get them to load a pre-rigged character and explore the
interface, select bonse, rotate things, move things, create a pose.  A
pre-rigged character gives them a great opportunity to see things
happening without having a clue what blender is doing behind the
scenes.  They can also render a few images from an existing camera to
learn about renders vs the viewport.

3) the source outlines it but i thought i'd mention what i do in the
first day in more detail:
a) Simple table, pantheon, rotunda etc...  building stuff out of
primitive shapes, scaling rotating etc... no editmode
b) Edit mode: A spin exercise, breaking an object down into the easiest
way to make it. i.e. is it extruded, is it rotated, can you make it flat
in any way then create faces?  a saucer, cup etc... or a flying saucer.
c) Modifiers: build a guitar in editmode. mirror, sub-surf, tracing a
background image, using things like edge crease, top/front reference
view to help get heads around 3D (showing a real example of a real life
pipe-line

4) Then the rest is all lighting, materials, textures, renders (which is
where people start enjoying seeing results). We do animation of
characters on the last few days using a Lego guy.  Then they have free
time to do whatever, and ask any questions they like.

It has been a pretty successful structure.  Especially the first few
exercises and most importantly changing the select button to LMB and
getting them to use that from day one.  (the reference sheet i have for
this has a few options i would not select again, so would not be fit for
use)

If anyone wants non-branded versions of references i can probably put
something together that is Open Source.  Otherwise what has been posted
should be used as a reference/inspiration only.

Cheers,

Doug.