[Bf-education] Xical and Good News for BF Education!

jseaver at smm.org jseaver at smm.org
Thu Mar 10 18:15:59 CET 2005

Rui and all,
I know that it's been suggested Xical as a (perhaps not THE)
delivery platform. I downloaded yesterday and tried it out.

Perhaps I didn't look into it too closely, but it seems like there
is no video integration other than having to encode video in the
Flash specific flv format. Am I incorrect?

The other thing I found (and is known by the developers) with Xical
is that it's VERY sensitive and
unforgiving about xml errors ( that is, one small mistake and you
have NO presentation) , which I found very frustrating and I'm sure
others would too.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great start for web based
presentations, I just wonder if others have tried it and are
confident it will fit our needs.

BTW, I have just learned that our department at the science
museum has just been funded (a small amount, around $40k USD)
for year long pilot for a new game making program in which we
will use Blender as one of the three tools to make games. We will
be creating a website with tutorials for the students and teachers,
so this is a great oportunity (since we have funding) to help the BF
make and test some introductory 3D tutorials.

Josh