[Bf-education] Certification structure

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Tue Mar 8 11:26:07 CET 2005

Hi,

(This is actually also a reply to several mails as being sent out here,
I ended up with so much text it was better to make it a general
proposal)

Since we don't have anything to offer yet we have to keep a bit focused
on feasible steps. In my opinion a good first step could be limited to:

- to develop good course material (like Blender Fundamentals course
book)
- develop a training program for trainers, and a means to certify them
as such

We should assume that would-be trainers already have practiced training
themselves, e.g. are experienced educators, so our training program
should be targeted to teachers within training facilities (or schools)
to help them getting new business.
Artists who subscribe to such 'certified' trainings then don't get an
official BF certification, but some diploma that fits in the offering
the training facility already has.

In my experience, a good target audience for becoming 'certified
trainers' is not within our user community, nor is the target audience
for attending trainings really in our user community. Setting up a good
training program should essentially break the barrier to get Blender
accepted for many professionals out there, who are not interested to
participate in time-consuming web-based communities.

I like how Discreet has structured it
(http://www4.discreet.com/training/). They've defined 4 levels of
certifications for trainers;

- Fundamentals - Intermediate - Advanced - Expert

For each level a trainer has to do a course and an exam in an official
training center. Additionally they get offered a wide choice of
training material, but it's up to them to structure an actual user
course.
We don't have to copy the 4 levels, but for simplicity/feasibility we
could start with defining the structure for how to certify "Fundamental
Trainer" certifications.

Main benefits of this approach:

- it minimizes amount of work for the BF (we only have to certify
trainers)
- a certification becomes valuable and defines status (only few have it)
- maximum freedom for teachers to structure courses
- clear business model; BF only will 'make money' from certifying
trainers and (optional) educational material. For the rest it's up to
the teacher to define how to do the business locally

-Ton-

Ton Roosendaal  Blender Foundation ton at blender.org
http://www.blender.org