[Bf-docboard] Blender Manual upgrade to 2.8, User Interface

Aaron Carlisle carlisle.b3d at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 21:41:44 CET 2018

Thank you for the information I am hoping to kick this project
off next week sometime. This should bring in more people.
Also not every page will need to be updated.
Updating images should be a low priority.

Also next week I will try to get some of the grunt work done and finish the
bigger tasks.

Thank you,

Aaron Carlisle

On Fri, Nov 9, 2018 at 12:09 PM Tuomo Keskitalo <Tuomo.Keskitalo at iki.fi>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> here's some statistics of Blender manual svn repository and my recent
> personal upgrade work, to give everyone an idea about the work hours
> this upgrade task [1] seems to require.
>
> There are 1217 rst files on current Blender manual (svn repo). Word
> count (by linux wc command) on those files is 473830. If we estimate 250
> words/page, the Blender manual is 1895 pages long. Images directory
> contains 2468 files, which also need to be upgraded due to new UI.
> Clearly, this is no small manual. :-)
>
> Now my progress: I've now spent 5 days (maybe 6 hours/day?) to upgrade
> the User Interface part of manual, and that work is not yet finished.
> I've now upgraded 10 rst files (including upgrading images they show)
> and submitted patches for those [2], so my progress is 10/1217 = 0.8% of
> Blender manual per week of work.
>
> Conclusion: If my progress rate is anywhere near typical, it will take
>  >100 personweeks to upgrade the Blender manual to 2.80. Removals (game
> engine and Blender Internal) will decrease that number, but still it
> will be no small number.
>
> I'm gonna continue this work every now and then when I can, but I think
> more people and work coordination is really needed to get this done.
> Thanks!
>
> [1] https://developer.blender.org/T55018
> [2] Patches are listed in comments in https://developer.blender.org/T57052
>
> BR,
> Tuomo
>
> On 6.11.2018 17.58, Tuomo Keskitalo wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > FYI: I'm starting to work on upgrading Manual section "User Interface",
> > chapter by chapter, to correspond to 2.80. I'll submit patches for
> > review as I go. I have a few days now this week to help, lets see how
> > far I get with this.
> >
> > BR,
> > Tuomo
> >

> --
> Tuomo.Keskitalo at iki.fi
> http://iki.fi/tuomo.keskitalo

Aaron Carlisle

Project administrator for the Blender 3D Documentation Project
Email: carlisle.b3d at gmail.com
Website: https://blendify.github.io