[Bf-docboard] Blender Manual upgrade to 2.8, User Interface

Tuomo Keskitalo Tuomo.Keskitalo at iki.fi
Fri Nov 9 18:09:01 CET 2018

Hello,

here's some statistics of Blender manual svn repository and my recent
personal upgrade work, to give everyone an idea about the work hours
this upgrade task [1] seems to require.

There are 1217 rst files on current Blender manual (svn repo). Word
count (by linux wc command) on those files is 473830. If we estimate 250
words/page, the Blender manual is 1895 pages long. Images directory
contains 2468 files, which also need to be upgraded due to new UI.
Clearly, this is no small manual. :-)

Now my progress: I've now spent 5 days (maybe 6 hours/day?) to upgrade
the User Interface part of manual, and that work is not yet finished.
I've now upgraded 10 rst files (including upgrading images they show)
and submitted patches for those [2], so my progress is 10/1217 = 0.8% of
Blender manual per week of work.

Conclusion: If my progress rate is anywhere near typical, it will take
 >100 personweeks to upgrade the Blender manual to 2.80. Removals (game
engine and Blender Internal) will decrease that number, but still it
will be no small number.

I'm gonna continue this work every now and then when I can, but I think
more people and work coordination is really needed to get this done. Thanks!

[1] https://developer.blender.org/T55018
[2] Patches are listed in comments in https://developer.blender.org/T57052

BR,
Tuomo