[Bf-docboard] Manual improvement ideas & suggestions.

Tobias Heinke heinke.tobias at t-online.de
Fri Jan 27 17:11:26 CET 2017

Hello Alex,

1. Workflow

The Manual is not primarily workflow based anymore it's a specification
(UI based).
Workflow descriptions still exist separated under sub-headlines same as
examples.
But isn't a specification in a pure technical sense with all the formal
demands (not following any RFC ####).

The time effort of a workflow based manual is for various reasons way to
high.
Time consuming to write and more important to maintain.
It is out of scope. Even if step by step walktroughs is the industry
standard - that's a luxury especially in form of videos.
(https://opensource.com/business/16/1/scale-14x-interview-bob-reselman).
Unfortunately that leads to "separated chunks of information".

There are alternatives that fill that gab:
Hundreds of videos/blog posts that explain the "basics"
fitting the diverse background of user and what she wants to achieve.

2. Structure

2.1. TOC

There's a search function and links. The full toc has 735 KB - average
is 10 KB per index.
What you propose would be http://getakka.net/docs/?
Don't know what you mean with templates: http://jinja.pocoo.org/docs/dev/ ?.

2.2. Sections

Digital artist workflow = digital production pipeline?
There simply isn't a single workflow/big picture there are a half a dozen.
It worked for years now, no problem showed up.
Even if, planning such big changes take huge amount of time, not even
talking about applying changes.

The non editor chapter are there for:
A) Shared topics between editors (data system, animation, sculpting &
painting)  (physics, rendering)
B) To flatten the structure which would be else all in 3D View (modeling).

To give an orientation I added sections descriptions on content.html.

2.3 Semantics:

Discipline or technique that's a semantic like discussion. Practically
it doesn't matter.
Rigging = rigging in Blender.

I disagree about constrains. I guess you based this on  a wrong (or
inaccurate) definition of animation.
(wikipedia is not in any way reliable).

and TBH TL;DR

The Plugin:

What you propose is a html select menu that lets the user switch
e.g. the Select Group menu versions for the different object types.

While the content is in the table?
It would be something for a separate website like a hotkey list.

Indeed that's is a problem, but it's solved by hierarchies:

    Object mode > edit mode > mesh > curve > surface | armature
    Timeline > graph editor > dope sheet > NLA

The reader has to have the ability understand abstract concepts e.g.
replacing vertex with object origin.

Regards,
Tobias