[Bf-docboard] Fwd: Re-write of the Building Blender Linux page

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 02:17:17 CET 2015

John's edits highlight that we had a lot of extra info on the existing
build page.
However, simply removing it isn't ideal (some of it is needed at least).

In fact the current build pages began as a short quick-start, but have
gathered a lot of extra content over the years.

Julian, Brecht and I went over docs and removed some unnecessary text.

Another issue is that we show multiple ways of doing the same thing
(automatic cmake setup / manual cmake setup), which wasn't visually
well separated and ends up looking verbose.

So I've gone through and collapsed non-essential info, so the page
reads more clearly and anyone who wants can look into details if they
need.

Currently this is only for Linux, but we can do this for the other pages too.

See:

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Doc/Building_Blender/Linux/Ubuntu/CMake

@John, could you check this, and see if theres anything from your page
you think could replace the existing build docs?

On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 7:29 PM, Nkansah Rexford
<nkansahrexford at gmail.com> wrote:
> Great.
>
> Is the rewrite done? Because I think there are still missing pieces , such
> as using the install_deps.sh command with options.
>
> And for those who don't wanna use the install deps, maybe a tip for them on
> how to proceed.
>
> I think I live the rewrite. Simple and straight to the point.
>
> Thanks
>
> Rexford | khophi.co | sent from phone
>
> On Nov 15, 2015 11:56 PM, "John Roper" <johnroper100 at gmail.com> wrote:

- Campbell