[Bf-docboard] Proposal for wiki -> manual redirects

gandalf3 zzyxpaw at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 18:55:59 CEST 2015

Alright.

In that case, is there any way I can get a local copy of the wiki? As an
alternative I think I'll try my hand at finding which wiki pages should
go where with some quick/dirty heuristics.. And crawling the wiki to
download most of it's pages sounds like a rather inefficient start (and
probably get me ip-banned or something :P).

On 06/05/15 21:14, Trouble Daemon wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sorry, but controlling random, otherwise unrelated jails and servers,
> via some rst comment in a svn repo isn't happening. Were not going to
> start orchestrating the entire rack via comments! Get me the full list
> of redirects you need and they can be put into the server config.
>
> Dan
>

> On Fri, Jun 5, 2015, 9:01 PM gandalf3 <zzyxpaw at gmail.com
> <mailto:zzyxpaw at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Since our conversation on IRC ended up rather confused, hopefully
>     I can
>     clarify what my idea is.
>
>     The goal is to redirect wiki pages to corresponding manual pages
>     with a
>     system which allows any documentor to quickly and easily add redirects
>     as they are noticed.
>     My proposed solution is to:
>
>     1. Define redirects by placing a special comment inside the manual
>     page's source, containing the wiki page path.
>     For example, you might put something like this:
>
>          .. _wiki-redirect: /Doc:2.6/Manual/Render/Cycles/Nodes/Shaders
>
>     In the rEST source of
>     http://blender.org/manual/render/cycles/nodes/shaders.html.
>
>     This would be easy to add when editing manual pages for other reasons,
>     and would not require any extra actions when moving pages around
>     inside
>     the manual.
>
>     2. Compile these urls into a list via a script which searches *.rst
>     files for these comments, and uses the path of the *.rst file
>     containing
>     the comment as the destination of the redirect. So the example above
>     would generate output like:
>
>     /Doc:2.6/Manual/Render/Cycles/Nodes/Shaders ->
>     /manual/render/cycles/nodes/shaders
>
>     3. Use the resulting list (formatted however it needs to be) to
>     perform
>     redirection from the wiki, perhaps using the mediawiki redirection
>     system Dan mentioned?
>

>     Hope that clarifies things :)
>     Any thoughts?
>
>     --