[Bf-docboard] Proposal for wiki -> manual redirects

gandalf3 zzyxpaw at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 03:00:45 CEST 2015

Since our conversation on IRC ended up rather confused, hopefully I can
clarify what my idea is.

The goal is to redirect wiki pages to corresponding manual pages with a
system which allows any documentor to quickly and easily add redirects
as they are noticed.
My proposed solution is to:

1. Define redirects by placing a special comment inside the manual
page's source, containing the wiki page path.
For example, you might put something like this:

     .. _wiki-redirect: /Doc:2.6/Manual/Render/Cycles/Nodes/Shaders

In the rEST source of
http://blender.org/manual/render/cycles/nodes/shaders.html.

This would be easy to add when editing manual pages for other reasons,
and would not require any extra actions when moving pages around inside
the manual.

2. Compile these urls into a list via a script which searches *.rst
files for these comments, and uses the path of the *.rst file containing
the comment as the destination of the redirect. So the example above
would generate output like:

/Doc:2.6/Manual/Render/Cycles/Nodes/Shaders ->
/manual/render/cycles/nodes/shaders

3. Use the resulting list (formatted however it needs to be) to perform
redirection from the wiki, perhaps using the mediawiki redirection
system Dan mentioned?

Hope that clarifies things :)
Any thoughts?

--