[Bf-docboard] Building the html pages

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 02:20:44 CET 2015

I dont think its reasonable to expect people to use a virtual machiene
just to build docs.

Did you try follow this document? (Its new, so probably it didn't
exist when you wrote your mail.)

https://www.blender.org/manual/about/install/windows.html

There is no reference to github or venv.

If you have trouble following these instructions, let us know what
tripped you up.

On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 11:20 AM, Dan McGrath <danmcgrath.ca at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Do yourself a favor, and install Linux in a VM and work on the docs that
> way. Virtual box works great on windows and is free to use. I'd probably
> recommend Ubuntu or Debian, as they tend to just work and many people know
> them enough to help.
>
> Trying to get Unix like tools and work environment setup in windows is never
> going to be a fun experience.
>
> Dan
>
> On Jan 18, 2015 6:19 PM, "Wim Teuling" <wfteuling at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> Stupid mistake on my part: I tried to use Python 3.4. It must be 2.7.
>>
>> I installed 2.7, and still no go: venv is not recognized as a command,
>> make is not available, exceptions everywhere.
>>
>> ...very tiresome.
>>

>> On Sunday, January 18, 2015 2:53 PM, Wim Teuling <wfteuling at yahoo.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>> Last week I decided to check the Blender docs, and I'd like to start
>> helping out with the documentation. A year or two ago I fixed a number of
>> mistakes and errors in the documentation in the old system.
>>
>> I like the look and feel of the new approach. I also like how Sphinx can
>> export to multiple formats.
>>
>> Unfortunately, the steps for building the pages do not work for me: I set
>> up a local repository, downloaded all the files, installed Python 3.4, and
>> tried to run the requirements.txt as explained. (I am on Windows)
>>
>> That is where my trouble began: scripts not found, etc. I added a path to
>> the Windows system vars, still no go. At some point I got it to install some
>> components, but I was lost after that. I cannot get it to work properly. And
>> I am a web developer, so I do know how to work with svn, github,
>> programming, etc.
>>
>> After an hour of trial and error, and checking the Sphinx manual for
>> clues, I gave up. I just do not have time for this. The setup documentation
>> is severely lacking, which is ironic.
>>
>> Really, I just want to write and edit, and help out with, the
>> documentation, but this is taking too much time, and the barrier is set
>> fairly high to be able to start writing! If I can't get it up and running
>> within 20 minutes, how on earth are less experienced potential writers going
>> to deal with this?
>>
>> I will uninstall everything, and try again next week, when I have time.
>> Too bad, I could have been editing and writing today.

- Campbell