[Bf-docboard] Current Status and Next Steps

JET koten jetkoten at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 17:47:32 CET 2015

Here's a draft of the OS X install docs. I'm also new to SVN and
RST/Sphinx,along with some of the people who have been posting lately... so
this does seem much more complicated than a wiki to me too. Nonetheless, I
was able to work out how to successfully do the install on OS X,
translating from the Windows link that Greg posted a day or two ago.

I guess someone might have to sub-edit this to get it properly formatted in
RST and uploaded online to the docs page, if you want to use it, as I don't
know how to do that myself. I tried to format it in RST, using the View
page source link from the Windows page as a template but am not sure how it
turned out. Probably needs some fine tuning, but should be quick for
someone accustomed to RST workflow. The main difficulty I’m having is not
knowing how to preview the RST as HTML, so I can see how the built HTML
would turn out.

I did notice that when trying to download the Blender documentation repo
that the HTTPS certificate had a validation error and that stopped the
download with an alert. I had to press t to temporarily authorize it to
continue.

Should the URL be switched to http:// versus https:// in the docs if that
would avoid the error (that might scare new people)?

I also wondered whether or not the pip command will work on a stock OS X
machine without Command Line Tools installed? I can't answer that because I
have already installed them on mine.

Also, I had 355 warnings (some of them marked SEVERE) while building the
HTML... not sure if that is normal or not either, maybe adding a similar
note as the earlier section about warnings being OK (even SEVERE ones)
would help. The built HTML docs did seem to work in my browser despite the
warnings, but I only looked at the contents.html page.

Here's what I wrote, hope it is useful (attached as RST/txt).