[Bf-docboard] Current Status and Next Steps

Greg Zaal gregzzmail at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 13:56:10 CET 2015

Hey folks,

Thought it might be helpful just to summarize the current status of how
everything's going with the documentation project in a few points:

   - The manual at blender.org/manual is now the official one to use - all
   the Help/manual links inside blender itself point to it.
   - All planned major restructuring of top-level chapters is done.
   - The project page <https://developer.blender.org/project/view/53/> has
   been updated to indicate who're the administrators and "Section Owners" (a
   nice big empty table at the moment).
   - All the images in the manual are still low-quality jpgs (which was
   done to save space in the Git repo), but now that we've switched to SVN we
   can go back to the original high quality images.

In the next couple days, I'll do a call for help on blenderartists etc, to
get more people involved, but before I do that there are a few little
things which should be done first:

   - Campbell/Francesco will write a page explaining all the details about
   why we chose to use SVN and reST instead of just sticking with the wiki.
   - Someone needs to write the install docs for OSX
   <http://blender.org/manual/about/install/osx.html>.
   - blender.org/documentation (which is now out-dated) needs to redirect
   to blender.org/manual/about
   - Inês will try to add a "Report an issue on this page" button to the
   header of each page in the manual, so that people can help us out without
   needing to install svn/python/sphinx and all that. It will just link here
   <https://developer.blender.org/maniphest/task/create/?project=53>.

Hope that helps, and hope I didn't miss anything :)

Cheers,
Greg