[Bf-docboard] Specific plans and discussion of what our manual should be and how to get it

Greg Zaal gregzzmail at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 16:22:03 CET 2015

Hey Abuelo,

We discussed what the new manual should be a little while ago on this list
- there seemed to be a general consensus that it should be both a technical
reference ("button X does this") and a topic-driven guide. Different
sections of the manual are suited to either one or both of those. (See the
archives
<http://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-docboard/2015-January/thread.html>,
in thread "Proposal for restructuring the user manual").

Breaking it up into sub-editors, authors and contributors is an interesting
idea. I agree that someone should be able to suggest a change to the manual
without needing to set up SVN, but this can already be done by creating a
task here: https://developer.blender.org/maniphest/task/create/?project=53.
Being a sub-editor would be a pretty crappy "job" I think - receive emails
from random people demanding you to make some change, and then you're left
to sort out correct formatting, uploading images and commit it.

Sending an email to every blender user 2 weeks after they download it is
not acceptable at all IMO, but you can easily start a thread on
blenderartists.org to ask them (possibly do a poll there).

I think it would be best if you could join our IRC channel for a few
minutes (click here
<http://webchat.freenode.net?nick=abuelo...&channels=%23blenderwiki&uio=d4>,
type in the captcha, and you're in) to chat with us - just to make sure
we're all on the same page and to avoid starting discussions that have
already been had.

Finally, I'd really appreciate if you try to set up SVN and make some edits
to the manual (here's a simple guide I wrote to help:
http://blender.org/manual/about/install/windows.html) - it's really not as
hard or complicated as you think it is - I'm primarily an artist myself.

Cheers,
Greg Zaal