[Bf-docboard] Proposal for restructuring the user manual

Greg Zaal gregzzmail at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 14:50:00 CET 2015

We have two currently supported renderers (game engine is it's own thing
imo, and not technically a renderer in the same context):

   - Cycles
   - Blender Render

Freestyle is not a renderer, rather a post-effect as I understand it (it
works on top of either BI or Cycles renders).

Currently we have `Materials`, `Textures`, `Lighting` and `World` as their
own sections - which made sense when BI was the only supported renderer.
However now that Cycles is around, It'd make more sense to me to move the
materials, textures, lighting and world sections into the folder for each
renderer. So the structure would be:

   - Rendering
      - Blender Render
      - Materials
         - Textures
         - Lighting
         - World
         - Cycles
      - Materials
         - Lighting
         - World
         - [no need for a textures folder for Cycles]

One problem with that is that textures can be used for brushes and
particles too - should we then add `Textures` folders under those
categories as well? Or instead keep it as it is currently with `Textures`
in the root, and cover all the applications (BI/Brushes/Particles...) there?

Alternatively, since Cycles is technically an external renderer, should we
remove all Cycles docs from this manual, and instead have them documented
elsewhere separately?

Cheers,
Greg