[Bf-docboard] my first impressions about the new documentation system

Trouble Daemon troubledaemon at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 19:44:13 CEST 2014

Hey,

Glad to hear some of your thoughts on the sphinx system, and no problem
with the help.

I wonder myself about the specifics of things like internationalization,
but I suspect branches (as campbell mentioned) will be the way forward. The
question there, however, is what kind of process or methods will the
translators use to keep track of what needs to be done. Someone will need
to sit down (even if only in a dry-run fashion) and tests the waters a bit
to see what a good approach to keeping track of the changes is.

I also threw together another video (~30min) for you to see a big more of
the workflow of the previous video that I thought might help you:

https://download.blender.org/ftp/dan/manual/blender-manual-git-squashing.ogv

and I suppose the original (~6min) video can be shared for those interested
as well:

  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfMAxEe2ohk

As for rst, don't feel bad! It kicks my arse a bit too, which is why I
started with a bunch of simple changes first, and slowly try learn a bit
more over time. I still don't have a clue how to fix half the problems
though. Then again, I never really knew wiki markup either :)

Anyway, look forward to seeing you back documenting when things get ironed
out a bit more, ttyl. o/

Dan