[Bf-docboard] my first impressions about the new documentation system

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 16:48:33 CEST 2014

Thanks for working on the docs, comments inline.

On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 11:59 PM, Gaia <gaia.clary at machinimatrix.org> wrote:
> So after a few days of working with the new documentation system
> i need a break. Here is my personal experience with it. And i am
> sure others will have completely different experiences. However...:
>
> 1.) Installing the documentation system was not really complicated
>      in my case, but my computer was already setup with a lot of tools
>      like cygwin python 2.7, git. So most of the environment was up and
>      running. It took me a while to understand that i also need pip
>      (although i forgot where it became important). But all worked.
>
> 2.) registering as documentor was easy. actually i only needed to add
>      myself as subscriber here:
>
>      https://developer.blender.org/tag/documentation/
>
> 3.) getting the documentation repository was easy as well.
>      No surprises here. But i am also used to work with the
>      blender git repository, so i already knew how to get this
>      to work.
>
> 4.) I was able to build the documentation from my Cygwin shell just by
>      calling make. It took about 15 minutes to "compile" the docs, but
>      only on the first build. from then on it was building in about 15
>      seconds. I know that when you do not have Cygwin, then make won't
>      work. But there seems to be a bat file for building on windows.
>
> 5.) I tried to get comfortable with the RestructuredText syntax and i
>      found it a bit weird to use. I stumbled a lot over writing wrong
>      indentation, and missing or too many blank lines and oddities like
>      that. well, i can imagine that one can eventually get used to this.
>      At the end its a bit like programming the documents and you need to
>      learn yet another programming language...

Yep, learning a new markup takes some effort, I think its harder now
because we don't have so many good examples in the repo to compare
against (although ``render`` chapter is becoming quite a good
example).

> 6.) I find the Sphinx documentation can be helpful for developers, but
>      it took me always a lot of time to understand how exactly the
>      syntax was for specific issues i had. Some of the descriptions i
>      just could not understand. Probably because i do not know how the
>      documentation system functions internally. Others may find the
>      sphinx documentation is perfect to read.

It does work a bit different to Wiki in that you are not supposed to
directly influence layout so much, instead write what you mean - and
let the generator render it. In some cases however you still want some
control.

> 7.) When i look at the compiled html files from my local browser, then
>      it is almost ok. Just that the nice icons from font awesome show up
>      as broken characters instead. I believe that is because firefox
>      does not install the fonts when they come from a different location
>      as the files. Internet explorer displays the icons fine.

Quite sure this is an issue with the theme we use, looks like we hit
~3 BUGS in the Theme (not RST/Sphinx... so if this is a trend we could
switch to one of the default themes, I really don't want to be
struggling with new docs just because of the theme).
.. it does look **so** much nicer then the default though.

> 8.) My first push was a disaster. I forgot to pull before pushing and
>      everything broke. But i was told to create my own branch before
>      pushing, so the disaster was revertible. Actually troubled helped
>      me to recover. Thanks for that !

Always update before editing, In future conflicts shouldn't be so bad
(there were some automated edits I made that touched many files)

> 9.) I tried to make my documents pretty and nicely readable. That was a
>      challenge in multiple ways:
>
>      a.) It took me a long time to understand the sphinx directives.
>      b.) Sphinx allows to create tool tip boxes. But there seems to be a
>          bug which moves the box title into the box text area, and sets
>          the title to the box type ("Note", "Warning",  "Error", ...)

Ugh, bug in the theme (or result of the theme, default looks ok)

>      c.) I have organized my documents with images aligned to the right
>          page border. Sphinx by default uses a one column scheme which
>          works ok when you have just a few images. while it is not a big
>          issue to get images right aligned in Sphinx, the results are
>          somewhat odd at times:
>
>        - when you narrow the page to simulate a cell phone display,
>          then the text left to the image gets squeezed too much.
>          Maybe that is just a theme issue.
>        - there is no layout alignment clearing
>          (in html it would be like: <div style="clear:both;"></div> )
>          however i found it is possible to add that as "raw html"
>          into sphinx. That is ugly but working.

Worth checking if this is theme related too.

> 10.) The hierarchy display is odd. as it can not be collapsed. Also i
>       was working within the Modeling chapter which displays about 130
>       entries in the left navigation bar with all hierarchy levels
>       expanded, and with no indentation.
>
>       So for now i use the browser search to find my way through the
>       hierarchies.

Modeling needs to be re-arranged, the ``manual/modeling/index.rst``
has way too many files, See how we did this for ``manual/render``
*(freestyle for example)*.

> 11.) What i am missing most is instant feedback on my changes. i often
>       add a few lines of text then i want to see how the layout looks.
>       So i frequently rebuild the documentation which takes a few
>       seconds each time.

Theres a few RST editors out there but I didnt find them that great
beyond headings, bullets... basic stuff.

WYSIWYG editing is nice, but as time goes on I don't especially miss it.

> 12.) I need to switch between 3 windows:
>
>       - edit in a text editor
>       - build in a command shell
>       - inspect in the browser.
>
> But of course i can place 3 windows on my computer screen to make this
> convenient.

More advanced editors can be configured to run a build, though am used
to [terminal/editor/blender] .. so this isn't that different.

> 13.) open questions for me:
>
>      a.) How would this system work for multiple Blender versions ?

We tag each version (like the code), upload the builds (also like code)

>      b.) How would this system work for internationalisation ?

Most likely branches.

>      c.) How would many documentors work on this system ?
>          here especially: How can one know that a specific document
>          is already locked by another documentor ?

You don't know, if there are conflicts someone will have to resolve,
in practice not sure its such a problem - same for Blender's code.

>      d.) How will my changes be propagated to the final online
>          documentation ? are we all supposed to work on personal
>          branches ? Will these branches be setup on the remote master ?

We have https://www.blender.org/manual/ eventually it sould do daily
builds (or build on each commit).

>      e.) What about search ? the built in search seems to be limited.

The search seemed fairly good to me, it works well for Python-API
reference at least.

> All in all it took me some time to get used to the new system. For now
> i found it a bit frustrating to use because there are so many small
> issues, each of them is just a bit annoying, but all together are
> a bit of a pain (for me).

I think you gave yourself a fairly challenging task to begin with -
Learn a new markup, and for the first task layout an image heavy page.
Its fine - and you managed it, but you could have started with some
much smaller tasks and not hit so many problems all-at-once.

Again, if we had a more finished examples I think it would have been
easier for you too.

> So i take a break and step back to other things for a few days until i
> recovered from my first impressions ;-/ then i give it a second try.
>
> i hope that helps
> cheers,
> gaia

- Campbell