[Bf-docboard] Proposal for Material updates

Jim Tucker jim.tucker at live.co.uk
Wed Feb 27 14:32:17 CET 2013

Hi everyone,
I have been working on updating the Materials chapter, and have found problems with both structure and content. Briefly,  these are:
  1) Many parts still reflect the 2.49 structure
  2) Some pages are repetitive (and even conflicting)
  3) Does not follow the layout of the current Material menu panels
  4) Some property details are missing
  5) Some of the titles/file titles are misleading

 I would therefore  like to propose a new structure of the Introduction/Usage/Properties sections. I have tried
to follow the existing structure and content as far as possible, but have adapted it to follow the panel structure in the 2.6 user interface.For most pages, the content  and (where necessary) images have been modified; a few details are still missing because I cant findthe relevant information  (any help welcome!).

The following gives a list of  both old and new structures:
  New                                  Old

Introduction
   Introduction                   Introduction

Usage                      Assigning  a material       Assigning
   Multiple Materials            Multiple Materials

Properties
   Introduction to Properties     (new)
   Preview                          Usage/Preview
   Diffuse                           Diffuse Shaders
   Specular                         Specular Shaders   Color Ramps                   Ramps
   Shading                              (new)
   Mirror                            Raytraced Reflections
   Transparency                  Raytraced Transparency
   SubSurface Scattering       SubSurface Scattering
   Strands                           Strands
   Options                              (new)
   Shadows                            (new)   Game Settings                    (new)   Physics                              (new)

 Other Options
    Vertex Paint                  Materials/Vertex Paint
    Volume Render             Properties/Volume
    Halo Render                  Materials/Halos

A draft version of the new pages can be accessed using User:sculptorjim/Materials/Menu.   Unless there are serious objections, I will move this into the Doc2.6 Wiki area as soon as possible.Any comments welcome.

Regards,
Jim Tucker (sculptorjim)