[Bf-docboard] wiki scrum sunday and assignment #2

Kesten Broughton solarmobiletrailers at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 16:59:47 CEST 2012

Hi all,

Many production houses still use blender 2.49 as it is the most stable and
well documented version of blender. That is, they are willing to give up
all the fancy new gadgets of blender 2.6x for good documentation. We've got
hundreds of thousands of blender users (and wannabe users) out there dying
for better documentation.

So...Let's get er done.

 Next wiki scrum on IRC channel #blenderwiki is Sunday, 1700 CEST (1500
UTC).   Please submit your review (by posting a link to it on this list) or
give a status update before or during the IRC chat.  You should have
contacted the author of the page and be in discussion about the review.  If
the author can't be contacted, feel free to make the changes to the
assigned page yourself.

*Wiki-Admin:*  Ton has named 3 of 5 positions to our mini-board.  Any other
nominations or volunteers to join?

 *About reviewing pages where you aren't an expert on content.*

This isn't necessarily a bad thing. 99% of the readers of this page will
also not be an expert. In fact, it may be preferable. Of course, you can't
be expected to catch errors for incompleteness, but you should be on the
lookout for conformance to existing wiki style, and the ease with which any
instructions can be followed.

*Would a picture be helpful/necessary

*Are there missing qualifiers to instructions:

   **check if it works in Edit and Object modes, Game Engine and Render
Engine settings

* Is the visual layout well organized into headers, sections and
subsections (using ==, ** and ##'s etc)

* Are there any specific issues to platform (mac/windows/linux) that need
to be flagged

* Have they followed the wiki
styleguide<http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Meta:Guides/Style_Guide>regarding
button templates, images

(note my wiki-markup use of black bullets '*' and white-circle sub-bullets
'**' here :)

 The review doesn't have to leave the page perfect, just like wikipedia, we
should welcome improvements with something like

 ****************"Welcome Edits from Public" Box**********************

If you are confident about a change to this page being made, go ahead. If
you are less sure, make your suggestions in the discussion page. Either
way, someone will be alerted so your changes and they can be reverted or
improved as necessary. To keep an eye on this page yourself, make sure you
mark the checkbox at by the “submit” button after editing.

 For the sprints, don't worry about major issues like weather or not
content should be split into two pages or other structural issues. Log it
somewhere, either on the associated Discussion page or on the reviews page
(by adding the {{review..}} to the top of the page. We really just need a
quick pass/fail.

If you are having any troubles with your assignment, please post here.

 If the page has a 2.4 or otherwise outdated version *and* a newly revised
version, your review is of the new version. Feel free, however, to make
comparisons to the older page and comment on how the new is improved or
deficient relative to the old.

 *A note on the sprint schedule*: I'm going to suggest that we try
releasing new sprint challenges every 4ish days to start (on wednesdays and
sundays) for those who are chomping at the bit. If you prefer a weekly
cycle, then just commit to that, and consider the next sprint as a preview
until you are ready to tackle it. To summarize, sprints will be released on
a 4 day schedule, but reviewers can execute on either a 4 day or 7 day
schedule.

 *Points!* I forgot to say, we will eventually have a proper point system
like on stackoverflow and other sites. An assignment is 50 points on the 1
week schedule, 60 points for 4 day completion.

 *Assignment #1 Bonus: Embrace Blenderartists.org (10 points)*

Do some searching on blenderartists.org for your review topics. You can
restrict a google search to a specific site by including site:
blenderartists.org plus your search terms. You should notice that all
results are then from blenderartists.org. For example, if i search “site:
blenderartists.org particles” I get a whole page of good hits for threads
like this<http://blenderartists.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?42-Particles-and-Simulations>.
You can glean from the posts, what issues are important to users and
what
the major stumbling blocks are. If your review is for a new page or
contains major changes, comment on the thread with a link to it in the post
as soon as your reviewed page is moved to the 2.6 wiki.

 *Sprint #2 Assignment : Tackling stubs for non-existing pages*

Some pages don't exist yet (they either existed in 2.4 and haven't been
ported, or were added by developers as stubs for new features. What a pain
for users to search for a topic and click on a result that says “sorry,
this page doesn't exist”. Sprint #2 will tackle stubs. Assignments released
tomorrow.

 see you tommorow on IRC

--

Kesten Broughton