[Bf-docboard] particles page

Sascha snowleopard.uncia24 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 01:47:10 CEST 2012

*/"First off, great work!  I especially love the animation of the main
step.  Any tricks to how to accomplish that?"/*

Well here is what I did, mostly with free software, but easily done with
100% free software

I used hypercam 2.0 (free) to record a small area (zoomed out) using the
lossless UT Video codec (also free) at about 20FPS, although you could
just use your .gif's target frame rate.

I processed resulting video clip using adobe after effects (use virtual
dub maybe?) and exported individual frames at a very low frame rate.

load all of the layers in to GIMP (file>open as layers), and *change the
image mode to indexed*, use a small palette to keep file size down.
click *filter>animation>optimize (for gif)*. this step is very important
as it crops out the unchanged pixels (within a box area) between frames.
the size difference between optimized and non-optimized can be enormous
if only a small part of the image changes each frame.
all that is left to do is save it. remember to specify the ms delay
between frames to run the animation at the right speed.
the resulting animated gif will be very small. the one I uploaded was 30
frames at a total of only 26 KB

it's a bit of work, but the results are well worth it, and it can help
greatly to explain the process in certain topics.

use lossless recording if at all possible, it will just make the
automatic .gif palette generation in gimp produce a smaller palette, and
will just look nicer and be easier to work with than say, an mp4 recording?
a smaller palette may not reduce file size much, but it could cut down a
bit in some animations. The most important thing is to optimize for gif,
or wiki viewers will be loading several 400 KB files instead of a few
tiny 26 KB files. If the animation has a lot of stuff moving,
optimization won't help as much.