[Bf-docboard] Manual Wiki Team Call

mindrones mindrones at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 14:18:32 CEST 2012

Hi all,

I'm replying here also putting in CC all those people (Simha, elhaj
abid, Anurag Rana, Erickblender, Giovanni Gallo, Rob Reid) that gave
their mail at http://www.blendernation.com/2012/03/18/blender-wiki-call-for-help/
For those that are not subscribed at bf-docboard yet, please do, so
that we can talk here thanks :)

On 03/24/2012 08:00 AM, fade_docboard_blender at ymail.com wrote:
> Just seeking a quick clarification. Do you want people to explicitly ask
> for review (by either posting to the board or contacting a reviewer
> directly) or is it sufficient to simply indicate the edits in the table?

First off we would like to assign each chapters to a team of people.

Basically we need people heading up to say like "I'm available to help
with the Contraints chapter", and we can assign some work based on the
needed fixes (as usual, see the review at
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Meta:Wiki_Tasks/Review_2.6_Manual

Based on their experience on Blender+Wiki, people can be reviewers,
editors, writers: once we have built the teams we can assign roles if
this is ok with everyone.

For now we added ourselves as Reviewers in most of the chapters at
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Meta:Wiki_Team#Roles

This means that for now we'll be the reviewers for those chapters, and
we take responsibility for them.
We'll review fixes proposed at
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Meta:Wiki_Tasks/Review_2.6_Manual as
soon as possible, and we'll report here.

On 16 March 2012 15:17, Jim Tucker <jim.tucker at live.co.uk> wrote:
> I would like to suggest a couple of changes (mostly simplifications) to  the
> structure proposed
> in  http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Meta:Wiki_Tasks/Review_2.6_Manual:
>
> 1) Writers:
>  Include a column for "Writers", and ask anyone who is writing edits for a
> particular chapter to
> enter their name in the list (this will make it clear to everyone on the
> team who is working
> on what chapters).

You're right, done!

On 03/24/2012 08:00 AM, fade_docboard_blender at ymail.com wrote:
> I'll also put my name down as a writer.

Perfect.

Everyone interested, please propose your self in the writers columns
and notify us here, so that we can starting building teams.

As said in the proposal, more active wiki Writers will become Editors,
and later Reviewers, so that admins would have less work to do and
more people would involved in decisions..

On 16 March 2012 15:17, Jim Tucker <jim.tucker at live.co.uk> wrote:
> 2) Swap the names "Editor" and "Reviewer".

[snip]

> I think this
> name-change would be more
> in tune with other organisations, and so simplify both control structure and
> workflow.

The reason why we're using this terminology is that we have installed
a new extension on the development wiki, that will help us follow this
procedure.
This extension will add 2 new roles in wiki: Reviewer and Editor, and
according to this extension the Reviewer has more power than the
Editor.
We have properly theextenion to fit in the Naiad skin, but we're
waiting for that extension's developer to help us with a couple if
bugs before going public.

> 3) Developers.
> I dont quite understand the role of Developers in updating the wiki.
> Although they can (and
> frequently do) help writers in documenting Blender, usually they only
> provide a
> supporting role in wiki construction. They should NOT be able to make
> changes without asking
> permission from the reviewer (but of course they would be welcome to work as
> writers, or
> review-team members and so suggest changes to the Editor!)

To me it would be more useful to let them eventually fix errors and
let them put down raw documentation (see what's happening with Motion
Tracking): then the a Reviewer can take responsiblity to format stuff
properly.

I agree, though, that developers should not change the wiki structure
without discussing with reviewers ad admins, but honestly I doubt this
would happen.. Devs hate wiki! :)

Would be good to have some opinions from some developer too.

Regards,
Luca