[Bf-docboard] Page Update (Doc:2.6/Manual/Introduction/Installing Blender/Linux)

Fade fade_docboard_blender at ymail.com
Tue Dec 25 15:20:03 CET 2012

Merry Christmas all! Hope everyone is having/has had/will have a great
day (covering my timezones).

In terms of documentation for this issue, it's very easy to find answers
for this with a web search as it's not an uncommon problem. Admittedly
it's not helped at the moment by Gnome's strange insistence on hiding
some useful settings and requiring users to install separate packages to
access some fairly standard desktop and window settings. Answers are
easy to find on forums etc, but they have a habit of disappearing and I
still don't want to have to constantly update for distro/WM changes.

What about providing a general search string for people to use? It
limits the chance of info going out of date and doesn't rely on a wiki
contributor happening to know the specifics of a particular WM.

--------------
Many Linux distributions default to Alt+LMB for moving windows which can
cause input conflicts since Blender uses Alt+Click for many operations.
The simplest way to avoid this is to remap this key combination for your
Window Manager. A popular option is to replace the ALT+LMB combination
with Windows+LMB. Note that the Windows key is also often referred to as
the Super or Meta key. Due to the number of possible combinations of
Linux distributions and Window Manager versions, it is recommended to
consult your Window Manager's documentation or Operating System's User
forums to identify the most current instructions to remap keys. A web
search using a query similar to the following will often find the
necessary answer within the first page e.g.

ubuntu blender window alt
kde blender window alt

Alternately, you could change the Blender key setting by editing the
relevant Input settings from the User Preferences window. Note that
there are several settings that need to be changed so the recommended
method is to change the key settings for your Window Manager.

Happy holidays.

Regards
Fade