[Bf-docboard] Do we need a Blender Manual?

Cal McGaugh cal at cal3d.com
Mon Dec 17 13:15:43 CET 2012

Hi everyone,

just signed up through Kesten to help with the Wiki, and hope to make myself
useful, and learn a lot about Blender
at the same time.

re: Blender Manual.......I really need to get familiar with it. I've been using
mostly videos and some choice
books to learn so far, and haven't spent much time in the Wiki, but know it's a
rich source of learning, and
am impressed with the amount & quality of information available, the ability &
commitment of the writers,
and the organization & layout.

I feel like I'm at the base of Mt.Everest looking up at the climb ahead! =O

I just have 3 suggestions about the manual from what I've observed so far, and
hope I'm not being too presumptuous.

1. keep the writing tone friendly, but make the info more user-friendly by using
fewer words, and more "bullets" or numbered points
so the info is easier to digest.

I think ~20% of the text could be edited out without sacrificing clarity, and be
faster to learn, imho. But that's just my preference.....don't know what the
majority of users think. Would a poll be useful?

2. what about a complete Index with links? The Table of Contents is fine as is,
but I think that an Index would be a big help
in addition to the Search function if you don't know what keywords to use for
the search.

3. And (maybe) also a glossary of terms, though may not be necessary as terms
seem to often be defined throughout the Wiki. But something to consider.

Also would like to see RTF used here as well so I can format the text better. =)

Thanks in advance for considering my suggestions. Sounds like a great team.

Cheers,
Cal McGaugh
www.blenderportal.com