[Bf-docboard] Do we need a Blender Manual?

Almut Brunswick ALinhardt at t-online.de
Sun Dec 16 18:24:23 CET 2012

It always depends on the actual purpose of an information source wheater
a written wiki or a video tutorial works better. And in addition, it
depends on the individual learning type as well as the personal habits
and preferences. I know that meanwhile many especially younger people
prefer videos rather than text/picture instructions. But I'm personally
not fond of the most videos for a first appproach. My objections are
always the same: Too many actions in too short time, the comments - if
given at all - are too short or too confusing to grasp the whole thing
at first glance, and the subsequent access on detail information while
reworking the content by yourself in Blender is not that optimal. Videos
with a transcription are much better for later reference, but
unfortunately just exceptions to the rule.

So the initial question is just of rhetoric nature: A wiki will always
play a vital role for a tool like Blender. It is mainly designated to be
a reference, a collection of more or less isolated knowledge snippets
focussed on supplying a hopefully clarifying answer in a hopefully fast
accessible way.  So at least on my behalf, there isn't an "either or"
for videos and wiki at all, but an "as well as".

By the way: I'm new in the wiki team and most recently I was so naughty
and forward to enroll myself in the Blender Wiki Core Team list. I just
feel the urgent necessity to enhance and to improve the German
translations together with other volunteers who are willing and able to
help me in doing this really giant and never-ending work. Though being a
relative newbie to Blender, I have the capabilities of a professional
technical writer in order to provide something more useful and correct
to German readers than this Babelfish/Google Translator mess you still
can find on too many pages.

Almut