[Bf-docboard] f-curve Generator

Cal McGaugh cal at cal3d.com
Tue Dec 11 07:03:37 CET 2012

Hi,

originally asked bf-funboard if a Spin Modifier (like Carrara's) could be added
to a future Blender.

Prashant replied:
"Actually, this is already possible in just two steps: to the rotation
channel of any object in the graph editor, add the 'Generator' modifier and
specify a suitable linear polynomial (which is set by default, so you
already have your spin behaviour!)

This method is probably superior to having a separate object modifier,
because it already offers you better control over which frame range the
effect will be applied to, among other things."

I couldn't find the Generator Modifier, though found a ref in the Wiki, but it
wasn't clear....i.e. looked in the
Object Properties under Add Modifier.....finally found it when I made the
f-curve properties visible.

Douglas Knapp suggested:
"You might want to contact the wiki/doc team and give it them. I am
sure they would love to have it!"

So would like to ask if the Wiki could be updated:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual/Animation/Editors/FModifiers#Generator

"Adding a Modifier

The F-curve modifier panel is located in the Properties panel. Select a curve by
selecting one of its curve points, or by selecting the channel list. Click on
the Add Modifier button and select a modifier."

Add:

To add spin to an object or group, select the object/group and add a keyframe to
the axis of rotation (x,y, or z)

Go to the Graph Editor.....make sure the f-curves properties panel is visible
(View > Properties)

>Add Modifier > Generator

Please let me know if there is a different group I should send this to, or if
there is a form
I should use instead.

Best regards,
Cal McGaugh