[Bf-docboard] Blender.org education/help section

John Blain silverjb12 at gmail.com
Sun May 15 09:03:17 CEST 2011

Hi Ton

 In regard to your request for volunteers to update the Blender Education
section I would like to register my interest BUT! I have reservations.

 As you may recall from earlier correspondence, I have written a basic
Blender Manual and have attempted to have a link placed on the Blender
website. I have also attempted placing a link on the Blender Wiki Page and
have submitted to Blendernation. All attempts have been to no avail and
constructive criticism has been minimal . This has not been encouraging.

 I have a keen interest in Blender Education since I believe Blender is a
fantastic program and should be used as an educational tool. The drawback to
this is the lack of current documentation especially basic instruction for
new Blender users. Your idea to update Blender Education is the way to
remedy this situation.

 I question whether I am suitable to help. I would consider myself a
beginner in Blender in the sense that I realise there is a great deal to
learn. Understanding the Blender Interface is only a first step in realising
the potential of the program and , without documentation, is a formidable
task.

 I will review the links in your email to determine what Blender Education
has provided up to date. Previous contributors to this must have formulated
an agenda which I assume would have met approval. That being the case, the
existing Blender Education section would constitute a template on which to
build a new section.

 At this stage I am thinking that the existing Blender Education should be
left in place and perhaps a new 2.5/2.6 Education series should be created.
There is a huge amount of existing work which, although outdated, is
extremely useful.

 Having registered my interest and before accepting any responsibility, I
would wish to be advised who is the authority for approval and criticism of
a new Blender Education section. If review is to be made by a nebulous body
of critics then the path forward could prove to be disastrous.