[Bf-docboard] iPad/tablet

Salvatore Russo russose at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 22:36:27 CEST 2011

Hello,

I planned a long time ago to port my work on BlenderPocket for my ipod and I
gave up for many reasons:

1) because of time constrains (Blenderpocket site is not really maintain any
more)

2) because starting to work, I realized that the iOS world is really closed
(really!) and I had to do lot of tricks like jailbreak, etc... and I
imagined that very few people would do that for a "proof of concept" like
BlenderPocket

3) the reason mentioned here with GPL

Few months ago, I bought an Archos 70IT, with Android. I will not be able to
invest the time to make Blender work on Android based on BlenderPocket work.
I am sure that it is not so complicated to do it (I could help if someone is
interesting in answering any question) but my previous experience show that
it is not "a couple of day of work"... Android is mainly Java, there is a
C/C++ compiler for Android but I imagine that there will be some small
difficulties, all Blender library (especially Python) need to be compiled
and working... and my OpenGL wrapper for OpenGL ES would need some rework...
but again, if some people needs more detailed information, feel free to ask
or contact me on my website.

For the last information, I installed on my Archos 70IT linux (debian ARM),
"apt-get install blender" installed a crashing Blender but I managed to
compile it from my tablet and it works quite well ;) Even if I have to admit
that the capacitive touch screen is not so easy to use as the stylus for the
resistive screen. I am sure that the 2.5 UI fully customizable thanks to
Python can make easily a "finder touch Interface".

If some people are interested by the "ARM Blender Package working", you can
find the package (and the compilation settings) here:

http://russose.free.fr/GEN8/

(I will update my Website is some other people are interested, who knows...)

Sorry for this long post,

Salvatore

http://russose.free.fr/BlenderPocket/