[Bf-docboard] iPad/tablet

Juan Dario Rodas M. jdrodas at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 12 17:10:22 CEST 2011

Hi Willie, Hi everybody!

For a better understanting of the situation between GPL and Apple ToS for applications, let me recommend you these posts (yeah, I Know, they're long and boring but worth the reading):

Apple's ToS for Apps:
http://www.apple.com/legal/itunes/us/terms.html#APPS

A "Deepful" analysis of GPL vs Apple's ToS:
http://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2010-November/077486.html

To make things short, Under ToS, Free App is only for personal noncommercial use and you can only share it on five iTunes authorized computers.

Under GPLv2, once you have been granted license rights, you may not impose further restrictions on the recipient's license rights.

Since Apple ToS is restricting you to use a GPL software just to personal noncomercial use, there's a conflict. Since you can only share it to your five iTunes authorized devices, there's a conflict.

One of the most noticed cases was the VLC Media Player:
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/no-gpl-apps-for-apples-app-store/8046

Workarounds:

1. Since the blend files are outputs from the program, they're not covered under GPL Terms. You might write a "GPL free" app ( what an insanity!!!)  to manipulate the Blend file and license it according Apple's ToS.

2. Like Tony said, Change your tablet for something else that truly support GPL apps. Android is the first option, not to mention HP WebOS or some old fashioned Windows/Linux Tablet.

Hope this might help!

Greetings from Colombia!

Juan Dario Rodas (JuanD)