[Bf-docboard] Bf-docboard Digest, Vol 52, Issue 1

Roger Wickes rogerwickes at yahoo.com
Fri May 1 18:02:19 CEST 2009

> In most of the diffuse examples, the settings for the diffuse shader itself remain unchanged

The issue is so many variables. The diffuse slider just affects the color's reflected brightness. so perhaps we should say that right up front with one example, on the diffuse page. To me, the thing that really affects how the net effect of each diffuse shader looks is the specular shader choice and settings, so I used that as my variable. It's like a science experiment - you have to keep something constant and only vary one or two other variables in order to present a baseline/experimental result and come to a conclusion. That's what I tried to do with those examples.

> I've already produced a series of potential replacement images which I believe more clearly illustrate the properties of the diffuse shaders.  My Minnaert example can be seen here: http://sites.google.com/site/spectre7/Home/Manual-Shaders-Minnaert2.png

Looks good!

>My goal in producing these images was to demonstrate each shader's settings as clearly and effectively as possible, and I think I've largely succeeded in that task.

+1

>Concerning the usage of the wiki discussion pages, I entirely understand how small things

You can poke an author by updating their user page, if you want them specifically involved, and give a link to the new discussion page.
> I intend to go through the entire manual with a fine-toothed comb;

woot!

> the sentence is just missing an article.

oh, dude, just go and do those two-second changes like that. don't even bother to mention. ensure you check Minor edit when submitting. that's very cool. typos and missing words abound.