[Bf-docboard] wiki refactor: help cataloguing UI images!

Tobias Regenbrecht regenbrecht at gmx.net
Sun Mar 22 18:35:56 CET 2009

Mike Belange wrote:
> Forgive my naivete towards this kind of thing, but I'm confused.
> If the people in the wiki channel themselves tell you MediaWiki isn't
> good for software documentation, should we switch?
> It sounds like swaths of articles and images are going to be re-done
> anyways, not to mention entirely new tutorials are
> going to be written.

I would like to put it that way:

Documentation is a task that someone simply does. It is not cooperative, you
don't need any fancy things, and you don't want anybody to interfere.

Simply start somewhere, begin to write and do the best thing you can. So
mediawiki is good, as long as it's simple. Everything else is unnecessary.
Templates can help if you need a certain format more often, like formatting
images.

Documentation is not about fancy formatting. Thinking about things (especially
structure) is sometimes necessary, but it is not usefull to plan to far
ahead. If you wait for something to change you may wait forever.

Keep it simple. Keep the parts as independent from each other as possible. Let
others colaborate.

Try to finish one page before you move to another as good as possible. Most
likely you will never come back. Don't rely on others to finish your work.
They won't.

Writing a page is a creative process. Don't let anything distract you. Don't
distract others. A finished page is like your baby, nurture and protect it.

OK, I think I write to much documentation ...