[Bf-docboard] A reason for the quietness on bf-docboard.

Jean Montambeault blenderized at sympatico.ca
Mon Sep 22 01:19:54 CEST 2008

malefico a écrit :
> Hi Jean,
>
> I don't know other people, but the reason I have been quiet is that I
> already wrote a bunch of docs in the past only to find out that:
>
> 1- Docs get obsolete very quickly

Yup! And it is worse than ever. Yet for some people, like me, writing
doc is motivation to stay up-to-date.
> 2- It's a lot of work  writing technical texts and getting images for
> it, wheter they are screenshots or more explanatory diagrams.

There is that.
> 3- Usually there is a lot of discussion about formats (I remember there
> was Docbook in the past, now it's wiki, tomorrow who knows...)

The Wiki is here to stay.
I do remember the ¬¢¤¦¢¢ era of the DocBook.
That kept a lot of writers off the documentation effort, me the first.

> And besides all that, I also spent quite some time translating all
> written by me and others to spanish in order to try to keep a spanish
> version in sync.

I speak French so, I know.
> So... I got tired. I rather spend my efforts in writing a book as
> Harkyman or Tony did instead of wasting it in endless
> rewriting/translating...

At least they pay some. LOL
Yet written media gets obsolete between the time the author finishes and
that of the release.
> I know it doesn't sound too positive but this is how I feel about the
> whole bf-docboard thing.

The list here is quiet and there is not enough documentation that is
written or updated but this is only because there is a lot to do in that
sense. There are quite a few people who are intent at writing for the
Wiki. Also, if I remember right, there weren't that many coders to write
documentation, "in your time". :)
> Regards

Same here, it's been good to get your input.

J.