[Bf-docboard] 4th November Meeting Summary

bsod at hiddenworlds.org bsod at hiddenworlds.org
Sun Nov 5 12:51:59 CET 2006

We discussed this as a method of trying to eliminate the structural issues
we are having with the wiki.  It's probably not the best way to go,
however somehow the issue of the degrading structure needs to be
addressed.

The problem I constantly see in the wiki is that things are all over the
place.  As the wiki admin for the scripting guys, it's been a constant
struggle to keep up with fixing the errors of people putting pages in the
wrong places and editting issues where older versions have had to be
recovered.

At some level this issue needs to be resolved.  We can't continue to go
around moving/deleting pages because the wiki doesnt actually move or
delete anything, it just puts in redirects.  That doesn't seem problematic
now, but long term, the wiki will begin to slow down and get sluggish as
the database structure grows with more garbage pages then real docs.

On further reflection, restricting the wiki further is probably not a
desirable way to approach the issue, but at the least, I don't believe we
should open it up more so that new writers can at least be directed to
read a page on the structure of the wiki, and where to put their work.

timmeh