[Bf-docboard] Image generation idea.

will quartz13163 at distanthumans.info
Thu Feb 9 05:47:42 CET 2006

Greetings,

I am not sure if this has been discussed before so please pardon if so.

Recently S68 clued me in that thumbnail images are scaled on the fly by
the server. This started me thinking about some work I was doing
recently on the Curves section of the Manual/PartII. It dawned on me
that the "Curve and Surface" panel provides functionality for severals
tools; and of course we know that already;-). For example, Tapering and
Extruding.

So I thought wouldn't it be helpful if we could show the "Curves and
Surface" panel only once but with different markups (ex. yellow boxes
that highlight) in hopes of avoiding having the same panel shown
multiple times with different markups. Say perhaps have one markup image
that highlights the BevOb field and another that highlights the TaperOb
field etc....

I was wondering if it would be feasible if we could have overlay markup
images that could be applied to a corresponding underlying image on the
fly? Perhaps have a new Template that drives this new feature.

I thought of several approaches:

1) The server could merge N transparent/alpha markup layers on top of a
background image. Each markup image would be applied using the same tool
that is scaling images.
2) The browser could apply SVG to an image.
3) The server could apply SVG markup language prior to sending to browser.

Option #1 is possible if a server tool exists that can composite images
on the fly as does the thumbnail template.
Option #2 is not feasable because not all browsers support SVG
Option #3 is possible if a server could composite and apply SVG and send
a static results to the browser.

I was thinking of something along the lines:

[[Image:Reference-PanelX.png|ImageOvly:markup1.png|ImageOvly:markup2.png|frame|right|PanelX
example.]]

Does anyone have any comments and is there anyone that could implement
such as feature/template?

-Will (Quartz)