[Bf-docboard] Help with Documenting

Jean Montambeault iaminnocent at videotron.ca
Sun Apr 16 23:33:51 CEST 2006

Lee Anderson a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I'm working on The Materials Tab in the Blender Manual, and I need
> help on clarifying what something does.
>
> It's the OB and ME buttons. What's the difference between the two, or
> what role do they serve.
>
> I could probably say something simple about them but I want to be
> specific.
>
> Any help would be welcome. Anyone can email me at
> leeander10 at gmail.com, or just reply here.

The structure of the data in Blender is one of datablocks organized in a
parent_child relation ship.
The ME button determines that this material will be linked to the mesh
datablock itself linked to the object datablock.
The OB button determines that the material will be linked to the object
data block directly.

This has consequences of course. For example, different object may share
the same mesh datablock. Since this datablock defines the shape of the
object any change in edit mode will be reflected on all those objects.
Moreover, anything linked to that mesh datablock will be shared by every
object that share that mesh : so, if the material is linked to the mesh,
every object will share it. On the other hand, if the material is linked
directly to the object datablock, the objects can have different
materials and still share the same mesh.

Jean