[Bf-docboard] Homeless documents and Manual structure

Ewout chocolade at extrapuur.nl
Thu Nov 3 17:56:46 CET 2005

Hello,
I'll go for the long answer, since there are a lot of different
questions in here:

1. Homeless documents: Stefano prepared the structure before we
converted most of it. Because he is the structure owner, I asked him to
see where these would fit best. IMO, it should be just before the
lattice animation part, BUT it is much too tutorial like! The most
important function of the manual is to explain how things work -> the
next version will be much more like a reference guide. The solid &
hollow glass part should move to the tutorial section, because it
doesn't explain any functionality.

2. Yafray: this one is tricky because a lot of this stuff is heavily
outdated, dealing with yable etc. It is also way to big to fit in the
"Rendering" section, the subsection "Yafray" over there should explain
basic things about Yafray -- if it should be there at all! I think a
full fledged Yafray section would be more appropriate!

3. *What the thing really is*
The old manual is not gonna be published in it's current
state/structure... This is a pity because that means that when we're
gonna do the restructuring, a lot of the translated work is gonna have
to do the same thing, and I can tell you that's a hell of a job...

the basic plan is:
* Make quick start bigger/more complete
* Remove tutorials from manual and decrease until it's a more dry
reference (much more useful and easier updating)
 >> these two things will be what the old manual was before.

then, to make up for the lack of tuts in the reference guide
* Make additional thematic manuals, with tutorials covering specific
areas - this is where tutorials are at their best!
* Make people aware of the enormous amount of thematic tuts in the
blenderwiki

I made a start about this here:
http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/Meta/Restructuring_the_Manual
feel free to help!

Also, it would be good to have more discussion on this, especially with
regard to all the translations going on atm. Keep in mind though that it
is very unlikely that something will be thrown away, just a lot of
moving around (which isn't neccessairily a better thing!)

Stefano suggested to do the first step first: haul over the old
reference and start from that. Which is a good idea indeed, we are
working on making the conversion better (the images were not properly
processed).

that's it for now!
Ewout