[Bf-docboard] About MediaWiki and DocBook

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Mon Aug 22 13:16:51 CEST 2005

Hi,

I've got too much mails already, so have disabled the docboard mailing
list to send mails to me. :) The web archive is available though, so
I've scanned the past discussion on DocBook vs. Wiki. Here's a couple
of notes;

- Printed books
Yes, the Blender Foundation completely depends on sales of manuals, so
we will need to start working on a 2.4 manual update as well. However,
that is not something the docboard should worry about too much, apart
from keeping the docs on Blender well structured and accessible.
The choice for DocBook didn't really help us for making a book about
Blender. The exporting formats as available completely failed to work
in the Adobe Indesign software (which the DTP designers used). I also
hear Stefano regularly complaining about bugs in DocBook, like for
exporting to pdfs.
So, if we want to make another book, we already know that the book
Editor and the designers will have to do a lot of manual labour to get
the docs content into print. The 2.3 book took 4 months to produce... I
also consider this work 'professional', the people who make this happen
get paid for it.
Conclusion; it's not so much the format that matters, but how well
structured the content itself is. Is it well formatted (chapter
structure)? Are the screenshots of a standard quality?

- DocBook
I have the impression that the biggest fans of DocBook are not the
people who contribute to our docboard project... at least, this was how
the choice was initially done. I've tried myself to work with it, and I
can only say the design of the DocBook XML tags system is a nightmare.
It hasn't been designed to work with easily, unless you use a WYSIWYG
editor, which I didn't find back then (when we did 2.3 manual).
Googling around on DocBook, I find a lot of debates on the topic. The
most passionate supporters of DocBook are (typical!) Linux authors
who've written a book themselves. For a community oriented project it
seems to be less succesful.

- DocBoard mission statement
The docboard could focus on the following two issues:
1) Make available the standard end-user documentation on Blender, in an
open online (browsable) and offline (downloadable) format.
2) Organize an accessible documentation project, to enable motivated
authors to contribute as efficient as possible.
As sub-target you could add;
3) Format the documentation in such a way that third parties (or
Blender Foundation) can use it for creating printed books.

- Other formats...?
The discussion to switch to (for example) MediaWiki should be about:
1) What format gives best online and offline access to Blender docs?
2) What format pleases motivated (active contributing) authors best?

A decision on this should really be limited to the people who actually
did write a lot of Blender documentation in the past. We need people
who love to work on docs, and are movitvated to continue working on it
in the future too. :)

-Ton-

Ton Roosendaal  Blender Foundation ton at blender.org
http://www.blender.org