[Bf-docboard] About MediaWiki and DocBook

Bart Veldhuizen bart at vrotvrot.com
Sun Aug 21 20:09:54 CEST 2005

Op 21-aug-2005, om 16:51 heeft Jasper Mine het volgende geschreven:

> I was under the impression the printed manual was a source of money
> for the foundation, rather than a downloadable using bandwidth, I
> guess coming from your mouth Bart, you would know better than I, so
> I stand corrected about print being more important than web.

Actually, it's both. Ton is paying a share of the bills with the
sales of the Blender Guide. On the other side of the equation, having
good online documentation stimulates the growth of Blender which, in
turn, will also generate more revenue (either through the e-shop or
in other ways).

After thinking about this discussion this afternoon it sounds like
the Docboard group needs to develop a vision and a mission statement.
I usually dislike this crap, especially when my boss starts talking
about it. Today though I think it would give us a lot of guidance,
knowing that all our actions are contributing towards our vision and
that they are in line with our mission statement. I guess the
Docboard vision/mission statement (and that of the Webcontent and
other groups too!) should be derived from the Blender Foundation
vision/mission statement.

Maybe this would help us formulate our goals and, ultimately, the way
we want to work and the tools we want to use?

Bart

(I'll go back to being a webmonkey now ;-)