[Bf-docboard] About MediaWiki and DocBook

Jasper Mine jaspermine at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 21 15:58:40 CEST 2005

David,

> If I am understanding correctly, all your arguments seem to
> surround the ease of moving content from mediawiki to print versus
> moving content from docbook to print.

Nope, to make it easy for you to understand what I'm saying, I'll try
to be very straight forward. LOL!

Do not waste time with mediawiki.  Use DocBook with an XML wysiwyg
editor.  Print is more important than web, but that doesn't matter
because XML -> HTML is so easy and looks good.

If you don't get it this time, I will think you are a bad candidate
for document writing.  This is only my opinions however.

Its so easy to edit this stuff in an xml editor man. The instructions
are there. What it comes down to is, are people willing to read for
15 minutes, and willing to make a test document with one of these
editors for another 15 minutes.  That is all.  It seems people tend
to get scared off by all the jargon of a strange and mysterious
language like XML, but believe me, this rabbit hole can get very
deep, it's a good thing its only XML, DTD, and CSS... LOL!

Jason,

Everything you need to know about documenting blender has been
documented ;) Check the infocenter on the blender website.

Bart,

Darn, you just beat me to say about the same thing :P  And your
right, "What is the bottom line?"  To me it is an easy to use and
flexible method to write structured cross referencing documentation
based on standards in the documentation field.

blenderneticly yours,
JS

P.S.  Another hack at the 2.4 manual integrated into the Blender3d
Typo3 website.  http://home.earthlink.net/~jaspermine/Test/DocTest.html