[Bf-docboard] About MediaWiki and DocBook

Jasper Mine jaspermine at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 20 07:51:43 CEST 2005

Hello,

By choosing MediaWiki you are limiting the manual to less forms of
output.  I mean by this html, pdf, print, etc.

DocBooks html presentation can be customized by a cascading style
sheet, and as you know, used extensively for websites.  I believe
this also carries over to print?  All it takes is someone to create
this CSS for the Blenders' readers.

Also there is a myriad of converters for xml to many formats versus
the very few for MediaWiki... the manual is not only for web, but
also for print. Two versions of the manual would be superfluous.

As far as syntax of xml is concerned, many XML text editors, some
free, some commercial, make the XML tags almost transparent, leaving
good ol' fashioned text editing as the hardest part, well that and
conforming to a layout structure ie. Title, subsection, images etc.

Please see this document http://www.blender3d.org/cms/
Documenting_Blender.226.0.html and also http://download.blender.org/
documentation/html228/x20988.html
Ironically this is missing from the current manual, so this is where
I will start, updating this section for 2.4 manual.

Check those xml editors out:
http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=XML
+Editor&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
http://www.xmlmind.com/xmleditor/ <--I use this
oXygen
http://www.xerlin.org/

MediaWiki does look good, and I see some smaller projects using it,
however blender already has wiki facilities and these are good for
the programmer to write functionality for new tools, these notes
would be better transfered and expanded upon in XML for the manual.

my two cents,
JS