[Bf-docboard] software tools

Martin Middleton bf-docboard@blender.org
Sat, 20 Mar 2004 07:41:41 -0500

Landis,

An XML file consists of tags and data (for lack of a better term) just like
an HTML file. You can look at and edit an XML file with any editor (even
the Windows Notepad). XML is a subset of a larger and more complicated
language called SGML which has been in use for years. XML is a data
description language. It is similar to HTML; it's just that it was designed
to do more than describe web pages. In the same way that HTML describes the
format a web page, XML describes the format a document. A single XML file
can describe everything from a one page article to a multi-volume series of
books (though in the latter case the file would be pretty darn huge). The
big difference is that the document output can be converted to HTML and
displayed as a web page, converted to a PDF file, or numerous other
formats, all from the same XML file.

Hope this helps!