[Bf-docboard] less graphics

Stefano Selleri bf-docboard@blender.org
Fri, 3 Jan 2003 09:33:03 +0100

> > The thing I was concerned about was more about establishing a few
> > standards before everyone makes their 20 million screenshots and
> > renders. In the last PDF I downloaded from the sources, there were
> > already around 70 images, and most of the pages don't have their
> > images yet. Once the standards are set, you can make whatever format
> > you want. It's a lot easier to make a 5k PNG from a 10MB EPS than the
> > other way around, so you make printable images the default, then scale
> > and compress a version from that for Web or a PDF.
>
> You're absolutely right. I'm not sure yet on how to proceed with that.
> Do you think that a combination between Stefano's styleguide and your
> remarks earlier would be enough for the time being?

waitwaitwait...

The bunch of images is already there, kindly provided by Carsten,
I'm personally on my way to update the outdated (i.e. re-taking screenshots
where interface has changed (Rendering buttons, etc)

There are guidelines in the styleguide to make screenshots
consistent. This doesn't mean they cannot be improved, of course,
but a starting point is there ;)

Formats MUST be decide together with standard,
PNG is great for bitmaps, EPS for vector graphics. We should use
both formats, IMHO, actually all three (JPGs for Renderings) since

renderings -> lossy compression is OK -> JPG
buttons/screenshots -> lossy compression is not OK -> PNG
graphs/flocharts -> vectorial in nature -> EPS

storing screenshots in EPS or a flowchart in PNG is
mostly inappropriate ;)

Stefano