[Bf-docboard] chapter_mesh_modelling

Alex Heizer bf-docboard@blender.org
Mon, 30 Dec 2002 18:52:12 -0600

--------------030301090602060608030906

HI,

>>I know you can get pretty small file sizes for PDFs. My wife does work
>>on TYPO3, and has a lot of experience making PDFs (she does graphic
>>design) and she pointed out the TYPO3 TSref manuals are like 1.7MB,
>>and they have a couple hundred pages to them, with graphics. There are
>>a lot of options you can set with Acrobat, like compression, removal
>>of image doubles (Remove Doubles -- how about THAT!! :), image
>>resolution, and other things like that.
>>

>TYPO3 eh? How does she like it? I've tried it a while ago but gave up
>way too soon. I still suspect it's quite a powerful package though..

It's very cool. We both maintain a university site - http://www.umr.edu
- that runs on TYPO3. She did all the work setting it up (she's way
better at coding and PHP than me), and we also have a consulting company
- http://www.tekdevelopment.com - that we run whose Website is a TYPO3
site. I also have been working on http://www.blenderama.com, which is
all done in TYPO3. It's incredibly powerful, with more features than
I've seen in a CMS, and it is rock solid. At the same time, it's easy to
set up a basic site. So you can set up something simple, and then add
more complicated features as you learn TYPO3's TypoScript language. It
has extensions, which let you add things like ratings and polls, and
"email this page" and "print this page" features with just a few clicks.
It also has an enormous range of user and group permissions, allowing
the admin to set up a "God" group that can do anything, or a user that
can only edit one piece of content on one page out  of the whole site,
or anything in-between.

It's easy to set up on RedHat if you're familiar with databases (It took
me an hour and a half to install everything on a blank hard drive once),
and only slightly tricky on Slackware. You should try it out if you're
interested, it's gotten easier to set up than it used to be.

>>I have the PDF included in today's source package. I'll try running it
>>through and see how small I can get it. I should get the new machine
>>this week, and let you know what happens.
>>

>Cool!

I got the spare battery today. I should get the TiBook tomorrow...

Alex

--------------030301090602060608030906

<head>
</head>
HI,
It's very cool. We both maintain a university site - <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.umr.edu">http://www.umr.edu</a> -
that runs on TYPO3. She did all the work setting it up (she's way better
at coding and PHP than me), and we also have a consulting company - <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.tekdevelopment.com">http://www.tekdevelopment.com</a>
- that we run whose Website is a TYPO3 site. I also have been working on
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.blenderama.com">http://www.blenderama.com</a>, which is all done in TYPO3. It's incredibly powerful,
with more features than I've seen in a CMS, and it is rock solid. At the
same time, it's easy to set up a basic site. So you can set up something
simple, and then add more complicated features as you learn TYPO3's TypoScript
language. It has extensions, which let you add things like ratings and polls,
and "email this page" and "print this page" features with just a few clicks.
It also has an enormous range of user and group permissions, allowing the
admin to set up a "God" group that can do anything, or a user that can only
edit one piece of content on one page out &nbsp;of the whole site, or anything
in-between.<br>
It's easy to set up on RedHat if you're familiar with databases (It took
me an hour and a half to install everything on a blank hard drive once),
and only slightly tricky on Slackware. You should try it out if you're interested,
it's gotten easier to set up than it used to be.<br>
        <pre wrap=""><!----><br>Cool!</pre>
I got the spare battery today. I should get the TiBook tomorrow...<br>
Alex<br>

--------------030301090602060608030906--