[Bf-docboard] Blender on Linux

Bart Veldhuizen bf-docboard@blender.org
30 Dec 2002 10:50:43 +0100

On Sun, 2002-12-29 at 17:14, Karsten Dambekalns wrote:
> On Sam, Dez 28, 2002 at 12:17:21 +0100, Bart Veldhuizen wrote:
>
> > familiar with the current installation process (it seems to change quite
> > often) so I can't judge if we should add your notes to the current
> > Manual that this group is working on.
>
> Good to see that the committers list archive is now open. Might make
> it easier to follow progress...
>
> Nonetheless I have no real opinion whether this should eb included,
> but I don't have any reasons against it as well...

I haven't made up my mind yet either. The only argument against it is
that the current build process is unstable and we will have to start
from scratch once the autoconf is ready. The biggest arguments in favour
are of course that we'd be helping lots of people (which is nice for a
manual ;-) and that we as a group will learn how to interface with the
developers. Keeping the documentation in pace with the latest
developments will be one of the biggest challenges down the road.

Hmmm... looking back at what I just wrote I think that we should go for
it! :)

> > What do you think guys? If we do add it, who will volunteer to verify
> > these steps and convert them to DocBook?
>
> I can do that, and I'd try to merge the build documentation from CVS
> into it as well.
>
> I can't promise to check the validity of the compile process on a
> regular basis, but I guess I should be able to try it monthly (rough
> estimate), until it really behaves the way configure;make;make install
> does.

Allright! I'll put your name down for the build process.

While we're talking about building - is there anyone who would like to
describe the OS specific installation process of the binaries?
(Windows/Linux/OsX/...)

Bart

--
Bart Veldhuizen <bart@vrotvrot.com>