[Bf-docboard] GPL

Steve Martin bf-docboard@blender.org
Sun, 29 Dec 2002 22:21:23 -0500

Bart Veldhuizen wrote:

>>Also, since Blender is going to be released under GPL, does it
>>make sense to include a copy of the GPL with the other licenses?
>>If so, I'd like to volunteer to do the XML markup on it.
>

> Sounds like a good idea. Will you also include some explanation with it?
> Like that it applies to the software and not the documentation.

Sure.

> It might
> also be nice to explain about the 'spirit' of the GPL.

Actually, that was one of the things I was going to include in the
"About Open Source" paragraph. Since there is a subtle distinction
between "Open Source" as defined by OSI and the philosophies behind
the GPL, I thought I might also suggest changing the title of this
paragraph to "About Free Software" (or perhaps "About the GPL").

Oh, well, now that I've signed up, I guess I'd better get movin'. :)