[Bf-docboard] long term plans

Bart Veldhuizen bf-docboard@blender.org
11 Dec 2002 20:32:04 +0100

Hi Stefano,

On Wed, 2002-12-11 at 19:01, Stefano Selleri wrote:

> Foundation Wide doc (Equivalent to Books):
>  USER
>    1 - User's Manual (current Blender Guide, to be updated) - High
> priority
>    2 - User's Reference (the Reference chapter in the Guide, I think
>          it might be good to separate it, for keeping small downloads)
> - High Priority
>
> << THIS TWO ITEMS ARE CURRENTLY MERGED TOGETHER IN B@RTS
> STRUCTURE PROPOSAL, LET'S KEP THEM UNITED FOR NOW>>
>    3 - Artist's Guide (Well renowed Blender artists describe how they
>         created some of their best images - An advanced user guide) -
> Low Priority

Excellent. I've started to use DocBook for my job now and one of the
nice things is that it is very easy to generate different sets of
documentation from one set of source files. By including the right
chapters in the main document, it is very straightforward to generate
(for example):

- 'Full' documentation (Manual + Reference + Artist's Guide)
- Only the Manual
- Only the Reference
- Only the Artist's Guide

I think we could even generate HTML packages or PDF's that use graphics
of different compression so that we can accomodate everyone's bandwidth.

Bart

--
Bart Veldhuizen <bart@vrotvrot.com>