[Bf-cycles] Some suggestions for nodes' interface revision in PBR times

Troy Sobotka troy.sobotka at gmail.com
Sun Dec 10 16:41:04 CET 2017

On Sun, Dec 10, 2017, 4:44 AM Adriano Oliveira <adriano.ufrb at gmail.com>
wrote:

> 1. COLOR SPACE. Today we need to open a drop down menu and pick color
> (sRGB) / non-color (linear). In a PBR workflow, most of textures should be
> linear (roughness, metallic, normal map, ambient occlusion etc) and only
> albedo/base color is usually a sRGB bitmap. Therefore, we need to perform 2
> clicks over the majority of textures we import... A better approach would
> be to have just a check box for "[  ] sRGB", like in Unreal. If it is
> checked (default), color space is gamma corrected, if it is not, it is
> linear. Believe me, when you have a scene with dozens of PBR material, this
> is a huge time saving.

There are more colour spaces than sRGB, and many, many, many more transfer
functions than the sRGB OETF.

A check box cannot work. In the case of 2.8, if we manage to get a wide
gamut reference space in, it becomes all the more necessary to have the
group box.

PS: Linear isn't a colour space.

With respect,
TJS