[Bf-cycles] Rendering Mask - render only selected pixels.

Tobiasz Karoń unfa00 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 14:51:57 CEST 2016

I wish I could tell Cycles which pixels to render using a Mask or bitmap -
where render Border is insufficient (and can't be animated, or loaded from
a texture).

I'm working on a system to turn 2D projects into 3D visuals automatically.
If I could re-render only the pixels that are really needed I could save a
lot of rendering time and greatly increase the systems performance.

I have a lot of little things that change accoring to a texture that is
generated from a user's design. But a lot of the image is the same - so why
rednder it all, while I can load it back form an image file to and alpha
over only what is really chaning form project to project?

I can't fake this with holdout materials (to make Cycles render nothing -
saving time, becasue that redners very fast, because I need to have
refelction between static and dynamic objects - and holdout would block
these.

Hmm - maybe I could use a mask in front of the camera using holdout but
only for camera rays, letting the rest to render?

What do you think? Would such a feature we of good use, or maybe it's a
waste of time and can be worked around?

--
- Tobiasz 'unfa' Karoń

http://soundcloud.com/unfa